Imparing Quality Education and Embedding Moral Values
The purpose of this policy is to provide a Smoke-Free environment for everyone who works, studies, visits, or has business at any Campus and Campus Workplace.
“There will never be a “perfect” time to quit smoking. A time when you don’t have any distractions or stress… If you had started today one year ago, this would not even be an issue for you today! Don’t waste another year!”
No person, whether a staff member or visitor or other, shall Smoke Tobacco Product on any Campus or in any Campus Work place. The total prohibition on Smoking applies 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
a. Smoke-free: means free from exposure to any smoke produced from Tobacco or Tobacco Product.
b. Campus involves the City Campus, to the boundary of the property.
c. Campus Workplace Involves:
Any indoor or outdoor area, within a building or on a building, or structure that is owned or occupied by the Campus; and
Any area used by staff, students and volunteers during the course of their employment or study; and
Includes buildings, sites, grounds, offices, common areas, hostels, staff accommodation, areas leased by the University and University vehicles.
This Policy applies to all Campus employees, students, visitors, contractors, volunteers and any person on the Campus.
5. LEGAL COMPLIANCE:
• A breach of this Policy may be investigated as a breach of legal compliance or as a breach of Campus policy and be dealt with as a formal complaint against the person who is Smoking. Complaints may be made by SIMT security or by any other person and should be made in the first instance, to the person who is Smoking.
• If the situation is not resolved, and the person continues to Smoke Tobacco Product in the Campus Workplace, a written complaint may given to a person in a position of responsibility of that person, for example, to that person’s manager or to a Head of Department/ School/Institute/Unit /Centre or a compliant may be made to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
6. RELATED PROCEDURES/DOCUMENTS:
It is the responsibility of all Campus staff and students to give effect to the requirements of this policy.
8. DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL:
Approved by: Vice Chancellor
This Policy is the property of SIMT.
Purpose: To provide support to the Smoke-Free Policy.
Scope: These guidelines policy apply to all University employees, students, visitors, contractors, volunteers and any person on any University Campus or in any University Workplace at any time, for any reason.
1. No- smoking signs will be displayed in appropriate places.
2. Copies of the Smoke-Free Policy will be displayed on notice boards in addition to normal circulation and included in induction courses for staff and students.
3. Campus staff and students are encouraged to quit Smoking and for those who wish to do so, the Campus will provide advice and support in accessing assistance to make this happen.
4. Information on how to stop smoking is available from the Health and Wellness Centre.
5. People in breach of the Smoke-Free Policy will be asked to leave the Workplace.
6. Repeated breaches of the Smoke-Free Policy may be dealt with as a complaint.